What makes life livable is never down to just one thing. It’s the sum of many things: from support to signposting; mobility to freedom; education to employment; and friendship to community. It all adds up to Livability.
The coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic presents a huge risk to the people we support in our residential care homes who are clinically, or extremely clinically, vulnerable, meaning they are at higher risk of severe illness from coronavirus due to a range of complex physical and intellectual disabilities.
How to take part in Ability Sunday: A Pilgrim Journey 2020
Livability invites you to join Ability Sunday and ask you to use your abilities to support our essential work providing care, education and rehabilitation to disabled and vulnerable people across the UK, in one or more of the following ways:
You can choose how you take part:
- Ability Sunday Church Service: we invite your church to host a special service around pilgrimage, virtually or in church, on Sunday 13 September or another date to suit your calendar. Download your pack today
- Ability Sunday at Home: we invite individuals and families to take part in this Pilgrim Journey, from their homes. Download your pack today
Themed around the Bible teaching from the story of the road to Emmaus in Luke, we will provide you with a service to explore important features of pilgrimage – the importance of packing light, of choosing good travelling companions, and of bravely stepping out into a new journey with God. We also consider how to avoid the weariness of travel. Throughout, we will be thinking about disabled people and how we can work together to overcome barriers and journey together with God.
Here’s how you can complete your Pilgrim Journey at Home:
- Choose your virtual pilgrim journey route – there are some wonderful, historic, picturesque British pilgrim routes here or to venture further afield – how about the Camino Frances journey!
- Decide what mode you will use to complete your journey: walk, trek, cycle, run, skip or skate – whatever method you prefer.
- Complete your physical challenge to match the distance of your chosen pilgrim journey
- You can take a day, a week or month, and make your journey alone or with others, as you choose. It’s your pilgrimage!
- Make a donation to support Livability or;
- Use your challenge to raise sponsorship from family, friends and colleagues.
- Post pictures of you completing your Pilgrim Journey at Home on your social media platforms #Livability #AbilitySunday #inittogether
Ability Sunday Quiz: please join us for our virtual quiz on Monday 28 September for some socially distanced fun with family, friends or work colleagues. We’d love you to join us ! Register here to take part
Livability is on the frontline of this pandemic, providing nursing, care and support for those who need it most during this crisis. By taking part in Ability Sunday, you will help us to keep vulnerable and disabled people alive – thank you!
Please always follow government guidelines on exercise and social distancing.
*Sport England May 2020Download your pack today →